“St. Dominic prayed with his body as well as with his soul. For the sake of brevity, let us abstract from the content and motives of his prayer, to summarize the nine ways he used his body in prayer.
1. Bowing before the altar.
2. Prostrating himself on the floor with his face down.
3. Whipping his bare back with an iron chain.
4. Staring at the Crucifix while kneeling repeatedly.
5. Clasping, opening or spreading his hands.
6. Stretching arms out in the form of a cross.
7. Stretching or reaching straight up to heaven.
8. Sitting to read or to ponder readings.
9. Separating from others on the road and repeating the Sign of the Cross.”
I quoted the entire article from: The Dominican Province of St Joseph – The Order of Preachers